Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Thu Jun 24 14:53:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, George Roettger wrote:

> > This process happens repeatedly, spammers know they can get about a month
> > of time (or more, depending on upstreams and hosting providers in
> > question) of life, either way it's just 50 bucks....
>
> forgive my question, but why does it take a month? If you had a bad route
> causing an outage for the spammer, would it take a month for the involved
> ISPs to fix that?

spammer comes, starts work, spams, complaints arrive, downstream customer
is notified of 'problem', they get their 3 strikes to deal with said
problem, then the ip is null routed. Sometimes it's a month, sometimes
less. It's situationally dependent :( I picked a round number because
saying: "Spammers get 9.759 days on average per webhosting adventure" is
cumbersome.