Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

Michael.Dillon at radianz.com Michael.Dillon at radianz.com
Thu Jun 24 14:25:36 UTC 2004

> It is the same way credit reporting works: you mess up, you get no
> credit.
>
> Come on guys, you are all smart engineers.   This is not rocket science.

If anyone really cared about SPAM, then the credit reporting
companies would already be collecting information about
SPAMmers and network operators would pay them for that info
when they sign up new customers.

But most people are happy with things the way
they are. They love SPAM because it gives them
something to complain about and get emotional about.

Personally, I find SPAM to be a minor annoyance. I just delete
the dozen or so messages a day that make their way through the
SPAM filter.

But what concerns me far more than SPAM is the
fundamental insecurity of the email system which
makes it impossible to trust the source of any
email message unless you have some prior knowledge
of the sender. Back in the old days, at least we
had alternatives like Compuserve and MCI-Mail. Now
there is only one email system and it is rotten
at the core. If we would fix that then most of the
time, SPAM would be a minor annoyance like graffitti
or vandalism is in the real world. As it currently
stands, SPAM is like terrorism circa 1999, i.e. it's
escalating and you ain't seen nuthin' yet...

--Michael Dillon