Can a customer take IP's with them?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jun 24 04:49:41 UTC 2004

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:48:14 MDT, John Neiberger <John.Neiberger at efirstbank.com>  said:

> IANAL, but it appears that from a contractual perspective it is clear
> that ARIN retains all 'ownership' rights to the address space. They
> subdivide it to those who are willing to contractually agree to their
> conditions, but the ownership is never transferred. I would think that
> that is an important distinction to make.

IANAL either, but I believe that ARIN doesn't claim to own 32-bit integers.
What they're providing is a *registry service* to keep track of what entities
are using what ranges of 32-bit integers, to prevent duplication.  There's no
*requirement* that you use any particular address range, except that by
community agreement, nobody wants to deal with non-registered addresses.

If ARIN actually *owned* the address space, we'd not have the perennial
flame-war regarding 1918-space source addresses on the global net - everybody
would do a really fast and good job of implementing ingress/egress filtering
because ARIN could sue you for using their addresses... :)