Can a customer take IP's with them?

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Wed Jun 23 23:29:07 UTC 2004

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

> This would absolutely have to be challenged on cross-examination. Were I
> the attorney, especially if the plaintiff had mentioned telephone number
> portability, I would ask the plaintiff to explain what additional work
> had to be done to the POTS network to implement portability. Should the
> plaintiff start mumbling, I'd impugn his credibility, and then ask a
> bunch of hard questions about SS7 (including the TCAP mechanism for
> portable number translation), how IP routing works, how IP routing has
> no authoritative mechanism for global translation, etc.  I'd interrogate
> the customer about DNS and why they weren't able to solve their
> portability requirement with it. I'd look for detailed familiarity with
> RFC 2071 and 2072.
>
> I wouldn't expect the customer to be able to answer many of these. As
> the defendant, I would expect to bring in my own expert witness who is
> very good at explaining these differences, and how the telephone and IP
> routing environments are different.

Apples and Oranges.  There is something called DNS which handles how
hosts are "known" by.  The whole reason behind DNS is so a user owns a
name but doesn't matter what "number" they have.

In the telco world you do not have this option since many businesses
advertise their telephone number.  (ie: yellow page ads, business cards,
advertisements, etc.)  When it comes to "the net" IP addresses are
irrelevant as people are known by name, names which are transparently
resolved to IP addresses.

The technology exists so that people don't have to bring IP space with
them.  The routing tables are big enough as it is and the last thing we
need is a bunch of judges comparing number portability to IP space
portability.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net
PGP: http://www.inoc.net/~dev/
Key fingerprint = 1E02 DABE F989 BC03 3DF5  0E93 8D02 9D0B CB1A A7B0

Host System Not Responding, Probably Down.  Do you want to wait?  (Y/N)