Packeteer

Nils Ketelsen nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com
Wed Jun 23 12:34:07 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 08:51:37PM +0000, rwcrowe at comcast.net wrote:

> Anyone had any good/bad experiences with the PacketSeeker or
> PacketShaper product ? (http://www.packeteer.com/). It looks like a good
> sub-$10,000 traffic monitor that will allow you to see all Layers of
> traffic utilization and reporting. Plus you can upgrade it
> to shape traffic with a license and firmware upgrade.

We have tested Packetshaper and some other product some time ago. From
what I remember the reporting for the packetshaper did work, but had the
problem that the output was only in the webinterface. So you are
restricted to the reports they give you, you can not access the raw data.

The shaping is quite nice, when you have them on both ends
of the line, otherwise you only shape in one direction, which in
most situations is not enough.

Disclaimer: This is from the back of my head, I might mix it up with
some other product, as we ended up with another product for traffic
analysis (network vantage from compuware) and I only did
some technical consulting for that whole monitoring project.

Nils