Can a customer take IP's with them?

David A.Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Wed Jun 23 06:24:25 UTC 2004

On Jun 22, 2004, at 11:10 PM, Christopher J. Wolff wrote:

> David,
>
> Isn't renumbering an obligation?

I am not sure however RFC 2071 Touches on this subject in section 4.2.3
but is ambiguous as to the nature of when the renumber should take
place.

4.2.3   Change of Internet Service Provider

    As mentioned previously in Section 2, it is increasingly becoming
    current practice for organizations to have their IP addresses
    allocated by their upstream ISP.  Also, with the advent of Classless
    Inter Domain Routing (CIDR) [11], and the considerable growth in the
    size of the global Internet table, Internet Service Providers are
    becoming more and more reluctant to allow customers to continue using
    addresses which were allocated by the ISP, when the customer
    terminates service and moves to another ISP.
[SNIP]
             For obvious reasons, this practice is highly discouraged by
    ISP's with CIDR blocks, and some ISP's are making this a contractual
    issue, so that customers understand that addresses allocated by the
    ISP are non-portable.
[SNIP]
    It should also be noted that (contrary to opinions sometimes voiced)
    this form of renumbering is a technically necessary consequence of
    changing ISP's, rather than a commercial or political mandate.

In my opinion, which counts for nothing in this case, I would hope that
12 months was enough time for the company to renumber.  Unless this
decision to terminate services with NAC was 'just made' I think that
space from ARIN 12 months ago was a heads up that their non-portable
space should be eliminated from their network.

Just my $.02 with some RFCs tossed in,
davidu