Operational: Was Abuse Complaints

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Mon Jun 21 21:21:15 UTC 2004

I am beginning to think there need to be two types of abuse reports.

One from individuals to their providers -- of the ilk: "This guy is
spamming me!!". You have to accept these from your customers because
they could be about you or someone else that you have the responsibility
of forwarding on. This is the controversial part of the proposal: You do
not need to accept these from non-customers.

This is the improvement part:

Another of the ilk from abuse desks (and certain individuals who have
high enough clue factor) that is in an automatically parseable format.
Maybe like a radb type format. It would be fairly trivial to handle the
parsing. In the event of an attack [on your abuse desk], you can say no
more than 1000 per day/hr from the same source --- this keeps your abuse
desk from getting flooded. Known talkers can be exempted from rate
limits. You have to accept a properly formatted one of these from
everyone unless they are flooding you.

Obvious here is that if someone isn't going to respond to an abuse item,
it doesn't matter what form you send it -- If you are Spamhaus or some
other organization and you are going to blackhole them in their lack of
response, you of course can still do this.  The idea here is that guys
who are responsive don't need to read 800 complaints about the same
matter that they are already handling and responsible complainers

The idea is that this type of approach, if adopted, will stream line
abuse desks and allow them to have predictable manpower hours needed to
resolve x number of complaints because you will not have to deal with
one abuse item more than the one or twice needed. You will also not need
personnel to categorize incoming messages as [spam to your abuse desk,
spam complaints to your abuse desk that are valid, spam complaints to
your abuse desk about someone else].

Flames in private mail please. What am I missing on this busy Monday
afternoon?

Thanks,

DJ