Attn MCI/UUNet - Massive abuse from your network

Ben Browning benb at theriver.com
Mon Jun 21 18:09:05 UTC 2004

(apologies to NANOG for only quasi-operational content of this message - I
only post this here due to the fact that I am sure it is a problem on many
of your networks)

Attention UUNet,

Regarding your continued unabated spam support, when do you plan to address
the *189* issues outlined in the Spamhaus SBL
(http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings.lasso -> ISPs in the United States ->
MCI.com )? Here's part of your AUP:

Email:
Sending unsolicited mail messages, including, without limitation,
commercial advertising and informational announcements, is explicitly
prohibited. A user shall not use another site's mail server to relay mail
without the express permission of the site.

What does your ethics department say about your blatant disregard for the
internet in general and your complete and willful ignorance of your stated
policies and procedures? Does UUNet *ever* plan on enforcing this AUP?

I can't help but notice that several of these spammers are career hard-line
operations- including Eddy Marin, G-Force Marketing, and Atriks to name a
few. Are these customers operating under some form of undisclosed "Special
Customer Agreement" (
http://global.mci.com/publications/service_guide/s_c_a/)? If so, how much
do they pay for their pink contract?

At this point I am just curious what the answers to these questions are. I
have not (yet) widely blocklisted uunet, but if things don't change I fear
such a measure may be the only way to stop the abuse spewing from your
networks. Seeing such a large (and once-respected) network go as completely
black-hat rogue as UUNet has is a sad thing.

Any reply at all would be most welcome.

~Ben
---
    Ben Browning <benb at theriver.com>