what's going on with yahoo and gmail lately?

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com
Mon Jun 21 15:14:01 UTC 2004

On 2004-06-21, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>>> A question out of focusing, who know when Google will open Gmail to
>>> public?
>> Why wait for Gmail when you can get max 10M messages and 1G total from
>> rediff.com ?
>
> how american of us.  i doubt there uas been 1G of *real content* in my
> email for the last two decades.

Reminds me of that (apocryphal) Bill Gates quote about how 640K RAM ought to be
enough for anyone.

If people still only sent email with SNDMSG or even /bin/mail there wouldn't be
all this need for six MB mailboxes, let alone 1 GB.

Given increasing mailbox size, I'm sure it won't take a genius to find out how
to stretch MIME to its limits wrt just how much active and multimedia rich
content can be crammed into an email.

	srs