what's going on with yahoo and gmail lately?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Mon Jun 21 15:03:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 16:43, Randy Bush wrote:
> >> A question out of focusing, who know when Google will open Gmail to
> >> public?
> > Why wait for Gmail when you can get max 10M messages and 1G total from
> > rediff.com ?
>
> how american of us.  i doubt there uas been 1G of *real content* in my
> email for the last two decades.

How else can you build up the largest spam folder in the world,
harddisks are so extremely expensive today.

I really wonder what the use for these freemail things is actually.
Except for the 'I can be mostly anonymous' part. As one isn't paying,
when the service goes down or crashes or deletes your mail or whatever,
there is nothing to demand that you get your 1 Gigabyte of email back.
I rather pay for a service and know that my email is in good hands and
also is backupped correctly and works(tm).

The argument for 'I need more than one address' isn't doable either as
most ISP's will give one a zillion aliases if one requests them.
Then again those are usually with a ~20mb max and that is on the small
side.

Also on the '1G in 20 years' front, remember that many people think that
using images (BMP's ;) and HTML and crap is 'email' while they are
actually sending websites over SMTP...

Greets,
 Jeroen