[Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

Nils Ketelsen nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com
Mon Jun 21 13:03:50 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 06:48:06PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> WASHINGTON--The U.S. Department of Justice on Wednesday lashed out at
> Internet telephony, saying the fast-growing technology could foster
> "drug trafficking, organized crime and terrorism."

"But the change is real. I don't think anybody would argue now
that the Internet isn't becoming a major factor in our lives. However,
it's very new to us. Newsreaders still feel it is worth a special and
rather worrying mention if, for instance, a crime was planned by people
over the Internet. They don't bother to mention when criminals use the
telephone or the M4, or discuss their dastardly plans "over a cup of tea",
though each of these was new and controversial in their day."

   --- Douglas Adams, 1999
   --- complete Article at http://www.douglasadams.com/dna/19990901-00-a.html