[Fwd: [IP] Feds: VoIP a potential haven for terrorists]

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Jun 19 00:51:19 UTC 2004

Thus spake "Christopher L. Morrow" <christopher.morrow at mci.com>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> > Tapping a SONET or Ethernet link isn't tough, and real-time decoding of
> > packets up to OC12 speeds was doable on COTS PCs several years ago.  One
US
> > telco built such software specifically to comply with CALEA when the FBI
> > inevitably woke up; it could reassemble selected RTP streams (in real
time)
> > and even play them on a POTS line running to an FBI monitoring post.
I'd
> > assume that OC48/GE isn't much of a stretch today and that OC192/10GE is
> > feasible with the FBI's funding levels.  It'd certainly be easier to tap
the
> > customer's access line, but typical DSL/Cable gear may not have such
> > provisions...
>
> The real trouble with this scenario is the required truck roll and outage
> on the link toward the customer... This gets expensive if you have to roll
> to 10-20/month all over your domestic network. Today that is accomplished
> on the phone side with builtin 'stuff' on the phone switches (as I recall
> being told by some phone people) without a truck roll and without much
> hassle. :(

That built-in "stuff" is possible with IP gear as well; the switches in your
remote POP should support port mirroring, and many sniffers have the ability
to filter and forward collected data in real time to another site for
analysis.  It's a pretty crude way of doing it, but it eliminates a truck
roll if that's your priority, and there's no outage.

Tapping entire SONET or Tx circuits is also possible without an outage, but
you need to have a couple loops (of the correct size) somewhere to point the
tap at and specialized software to extract the packets.

> Figuring out the difference between all the forms of 'VOIP' communications
> will be a headache for the govies and lawyers... just look at the minor
> inconveniences of CARNIVORE, eh?

It'll get even more "interesting" when VoIP carriers roll out encryption for
signalling and media; pen registers will still be possible, but a tap will
be completely useless.

> > One thing is very clear, however; if the industry doesn't come up with a
> > working solution first, we will certainly have something unworkable
shoved
> > down our throats by Congress, the FCC, and the FBI.
>
> Sure, but to date we are still awaiting good/complete requirements from
> the gov't so it's a little tough to determine what is 'required' in a
> solution such that data can be tapped and then appear in court in some
> form which is unimpeachable.

Congress is going down the route of legislating implementation instead of
legislating the requirements and leaving it to the FCC or industry to find
possible implementations.  Unfortunately the industry is collectively
sticking their heads in the sand, and the FCC is loathe to comment on
anything they don't have the authority to regulate.  Without input to
counter the FBI, how is Congress supposed to pass anything reasonable?  As
they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov