Verisign vs. ICANN

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Jun 18 17:28:23 UTC 2004

At 10:34 AM -0600 6/18/04, John Neiberger wrote:

>It never ceases to amaze me that some companies will move forward with
>actions that they know will give them a horrible reputation.

Hmm...  I'm not going to try to defend Verisign (or ICANN for that matter),
but will note that the decision to engage in litigation is often not optional...

In many areas of law, failure to act to diligently against infringement can
effectively preclude you from pursuing legal recourse in the future.  So,
companies can find easily find themselves having to file legal actions
simply to maintain their right to do so.  Also, while drastic, filing suit
doesn't preclude adults getting together and working out the the matter
before  anything makes it to court.   It's legal action without any real
meaningful attempt to meet and settle in advance which deserves a
bad reputation.

/John