akamaie dns issue

David A.Ulevitch davidu at everydns.net
Thu Jun 17 13:30:25 UTC 2004

On Jun 17, 2004, at 5:52 AM, Curtis Maurand wrote:

> This was in my mail this am.  This is why there was an akamai dns
> issue.

Shouldn't someone like CAIDA be able to verify these claims? (They look
at more than backscatter, right?)

I feel like something of this magnitude could have been noticed.  Is it
possible that the attack was sophisticated enough that it was a DDoS
that was "just" big enough to do the job but small enough to get lost
in the ebb and flow of normal traffic?  If so, that'd be quite a feat.

I'm sure CAIDA or other groups are going over their datasets to see if
there is anything anomalous.  I'm looking forward to a third-party
report.

thanks,
davidu