Akamai DNS Issue?

Sean Butler sean at 2sparrows.org
Thu Jun 17 01:43:48 UTC 2004

> We have been experiencing this problem weeks ago, this is virtually
> under
> the same spectrum of problems that Akamai via AKADNS.NET with their
> corporate DNS servers that carry traffic for google, yahoo, msn, etc.
> When
> we were asking if Akamai blacklisted/blackholed ip addresses ( we
> meant at
> router-level or DNS-level ) as we were experiencing lack of resolution
> yahoo, and google. We noted that google adwords were using a different
> dns
> than akamai and could be seen. The problem continued intermittently
> throughout the week, yet nobody put the questions we were asking along
> with
> the issues taking place from Akamai within dispite our pleas, and
> requests
> to resolve this issue. We performed traceroutes, pings, bgp summarys
> making
> sure we weren't being blocked before we started pointing any fingers
> and
> asking any stupid questions yet we still were ignored and could of
> helped
> Akamai prevent such occurances from happening. It is us who is paying
> google
> $186,000 a quarter and Yahoo $146,000 a quarter in advertising, you'd
> think
> that someone would look our way and see we're having troubles rather
> than
> walking on while we were being mugged. Rather than being treated as
> mere
> babble we could of provided our logs as we were working within over 30
> looking glasses trying to see what was happening and where the problem
> were
> occuring.

Pete,

In addition to John responding to your Nanog request for help from
Akamai, I also responded (privately) and did not hear anything from
you.  Did you ever open a ticket with the Akamai NOC or Customer Care,
and if so, can you give me that ticket number?  I doubt seriously that
no one at Akamai listened.  We've got two right here that responded and
did not get a response, on a non standard channel.  Standard channels
are probably a much better place to go, and so I'd guess you had much
better luck there.  So, if you can send me the ticket number, we'll
take this off Nanog and get it resolved.

Thanks,
Sean
(Akamai NetArch Guy)