Travelling the backway to Google

Tony Rall trall at almaden.ibm.com
Thu Jun 17 01:08:28 UTC 2004

On Wednesday, 2004-06-16 at 20:02 AST, "support services"
<support at smsonline.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:28:37PM -0700, Tony Rall wrote:
> > > http://216.239.57.104
>
> Yes, the old servers are still there but, they are out of date and not
> in-sync with any other servers. They can act as mirrors but, they don't
> appear as mirror. > > http://216.239.57.104  No Froogle

Yes, they do appear to be somewhat backlevel, but that address (among a
few others) is what www.google.com (among a few others) resolves to right
now - even when doing a manual lookup starting at the gtld servers.

Right now they're coming out with a short 10 minute ttl, but my local
nameservers still have www.google.com cached (to those "old" servers) with
more than 24 hours left on the ttl.  I don't think Google has fully left
emergency mode yet.  And even if they have, the recovery measures they
took will not age out for hours.

Tony Rall