"Default" Internet "Re: Re: Re:"

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Tue Jun 15 14:35:48 UTC 2004

On 14 Jun 2004, Paul Vixie wrote:
: surfer at mauigateway.com (Scott Weeks) writes:
:
: > : Also the problem of off shoring spam probably should be taken into
: > : consideration.  No matter how good the plan is if a country is willing
: > : not to enforce it there will be a problem.
: >
: > <ding, ding, ding>  We have a winner!  Someone please give sgorman1 a
: > cigar for winning the NA vs. global network game in this round!
:
: so, we're back to the need to establish this by international treaty, again.

I will not go on too much as these need to die off.  I just want to point
out the borderless beast we're riding and the need to make solutions for
the whole beast, not just the front of it.

scott

: for some reason we can require passengers to be fingerprinted if they didn't
: come from an approved airport, or let them through without checking their
: passport at all if they're from the same league of nations as "us", and
: make IMF money contingent on severing or establishing diplomatic ties with
: countries we dislike or like... but we balk at the idea of making it illegal
: for UUNET to connect their end of an E3 to a router if the other end touches
: down in a country who won't control their cybernauts.
:
: yes, that would mean a whole lot of homework for somebody, since you could
: multihop through middlemen at various ISO layers, repacketize, and so on.
: but even though it's still possible to ship all manner of contraband across
: every border in the world, it's HARDER TO DO if the country on at least one
: side of that border MAKES SOME KIND OF EFFORT AT STOPPING IT.
:
: if some country somewhere becomes a haven for spammers then the international
: community will have to isolate them (cybernetically) in their own defense.
:
: we can argue about anything else that pleases us, invent all the rules and
: new technology we want, but it will all come down to treaties between nations.
:
: unfortunately, my own nation is so interested in appeasing our spammers that
: they are unable to provide any leadership in this area.  someone else should
: step up.
: --
: Paul Vixie
: