Math 011 (Re: "Default" Points on your Internet "Re: Re: Re:")

George Roettger geoincidents at nls.net
Tue Jun 15 10:33:52 UTC 2004

> GR> Virus infections are a day to day occurance, not some
>
> And being the status quo justifies something how?

No it doesn't justify it, it simply means it's not an emergency.

> * You have an infected machine that has absolutely no chance of
>   harming anyone else.  Should you care?  ("Yes" reflects concern
>   about the customer; "no" is the Internet-minded attitude.)  At
>   any rate, disconnection would be foolish.

Yes of course you should care, but it should not be a high a priority as say
a down situation.

> * I have an infected machine that pounds out attacks and exploits
>   at high speeds, hurting thousands of systems hourly.  Would you
>   like it shut off?  Probably.  Do you not agree that this is
>   grounds for disco/throttling/proxy -- at least temporarily?

High priority because it can or is causing a down situation for someone.

> If you don't agree with me on the extremes, I think you're nuts.
> If you agree with me on the extremes, then we're arguing over
> where the boundaries should be.

We aren't arguing over boundries, all I'm trying to say is that without
customers the internet shuts down. So perhaps it's time to become a bit more
customer oriented in our thinking of how to deal with the issues we face
today. Automatically sand boxing business dsl customers is a bad idea. Do
you want your backbone providers to do that to you because of a virus
infection on your network?

Geo.