DDoS mitigation with BGP communities

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Tue Jun 15 03:28:24 UTC 2004

Hello,

  I just experienced my first official DDoS attack against my network.
I never realized how helpless I was :(.   I had roughly 70 mbps of
traffic aimed at one IP.  The IP wasn't even in use,  I'm assuming
someone typed the wrong IP and meant to send it somewhere else.  I shut
it down by removing the /24 announcement.   This was fine except for
the customers on that /24.   I know my upstreams have special
communities I can set via BGP announcements that effectively say 'route
packets to this network to null0'.   My question is,  what do I need to
put on my router (i.e. code examples) to inject the /32 into the BGP
announcements.   I try to be a good net citizen and announce aggregate
blocks.  I had to break my /21 up so I could announce everything but
the /24 in the middle.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Routers are a couple 7500 series running 12.0.xx

-Matt