"Default" Internet Service

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Jun 14 17:11:34 UTC 2004

: Regulations could fix that.
:
: The US Postal Service has the Postal Inspection Service.  They have
: jurisdiction anywhere the mail goes.  The post office didn't create
: the Anthrax, they delivered the envelopes as addressed.
:
: Most railroads have railroad police with jurisdiction anywhere the
: railroad tracks go.  Some railroad police departments have
: trans-national jurisdiction in multiple countries.

:: My suggestion to the AusCERT delegates was to introduce a new default
:: service which has very limited access, and if people ask for more, give
:: them the access after they have read through various 'educational'
:: pages....  Perhaps a simple online quiz at the end -just 3-5 questions
:: with the answers being very clearly explained in the previous pages -
:: just to show the people have actually read the pages, rather than
:: skipped to the end and hit 'I accept'.

::: All other traffic will be blocked.  This means that if you are
::: using any other internet-based applications, such as on-line gaming,
::: peer to peer file-sharing, etc., they will not work with Censorco.
::: These applications have been demonstrated to be unsafe, and, are not
::: accessible while still using the TrainingWheels(tm) service.  If you
::: want to do this, you will need to contact your account representative,
::: pass a brief internet knowledge and security test, and sign the
::: appropriate waiver.  We will then remove the TrainingWheels(tm) from
::: your internet service and you will receive a full, unfiltered, unsafe
::: connection to the internet.

Four words why these regulatory/testing things won't work: It's a global
network.  It has been shown across many wars that global regulation isn't
going to work...

: Also the problem of off shoring spam probably should be taken into
: consideration.  No matter how good the plan is if a country is willing
: not to enforce it there will be a problem.

<ding, ding, ding>  We have a winner!  Someone please give sgorman1 a
cigar for winning the NA vs. global network game in this round!

scott