Points on your Internet driver's license (was RE: Even you can

Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon Jun 14 15:58:03 UTC 2004

Owen DeLong wrote:

> No... The negligent ISPs end up with all the abusing customers and have a
> hard time getting transit themselves.  Eventually, you end up with two
> internets... One run by and for the abusers and negligent, one for everyone
> else.  I have no problem with that.

There should be a twelve-step program for people like me who can't
stay out of a discussion....

I think we are already on our way to a multiple-Internet world, with
the CB-radio model of everybody shouting about all manner of stuff
ranging from very useful to utter sewage (uttered sewage?), and the vpn
model (note lowercase attempt at a generalizing term) of encrypted
tunnels, firewall rules, DNSBLs, challenged response, SPF, et alia.

Implicit in the latter is a prior negotiation and rules-of-contact
setting, meaning no contact via the Internet by parties unknown.

I wonder if a 500 kc-like "calling" channel with very tight and
enforced rules will emerge somehow.
--
Requiescas in pace o email

Ex turpi causa non oritur actio