"Default" Internet Service (was: Re: Points on your Internet

Geoincidents geoincidents at nls.net
Sun Jun 13 22:19:39 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Vixie" <vixie at vix.com>

> now, though, there's an opportunity to do a marketing U-turn on this.
cable
> and dsl providers in the USA can point to the national cybersecurity plan
and
> say that to comply with it they have to put infected computers in
cyberjail,

Except that they don't HAVE to do this and so it's lying to customers and
other ISP's will tell the customers the truth (that they don't have to pay
these charges) and presto you are out of business.

> refundable after one year if there are no further incidents.  then offer
> remotely manage their host ("give me your root passwords, trust me!") for
an
> annual fee of $(0.75*N).  if the initial value of N were $500, you might
be
> able to get the people who need this service to pay for it.  it's worth a
try?

Paul, why don't you make this offer to all your relatives? Don't want the
job? NEITHER DO WE!! (hoping the relatives comment will invoke the memories
of exactly what is required to do this)

We are ISP's, we got into this business because we know how to network not
how to patch every OS on the planet. It's bad enough we have to filter email
or customers go running off to another ISP but to provide security and deal
with patching and then on top of that explain to parents how their 14 year
old compromised their machine by running something she downloaded off the
web so they really shouldn't sue us because someone got their CC  and bank
account numbers?

Geo.