"Default" Internet Service

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 14 15:06:44 UTC 2004

Until they sign up for Vonage, get hooked on that new multiplayer realtime
game, discover that they can share music with their friends, or just
want to see what that next killer-app is all about.

Oh, yeah, there's also IRC, YIM, AIM, etc.

Those are just the applications I ran up against when I put a strict
firewall in for my parents (who I regard as being pretty typical of the
we don't know what internet is, but, we want it mom/dad set).

And, there's still the question of funding.  Adding simple filters
costs money (labor, if nothing else).  Adding stateful inspection filters
costs more money (same labor, roughly, but, most provider-side routers
don't do stateful inspection, at least not in a scalable way).  The few
that do, usually require additional hardware options (ASPIC, for example).

Who should pay for that?  I don't think the responsible clueful customers
of an ISP should have to subsidize the clueless, even if the clueless are
the majority.

Owen

--On Monday, June 14, 2004 3:42 PM +1000 Matthew Sullivan