Points on your Internet driver's license

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Jun 13 21:02:48 UTC 2004

>> how is the user going know the brokenness you net vigilantes
>> propose to impose from the brokenness the other miscreants
>> impose?
> Nicely put.  How about: if their mail and web access works, then
> its the fault of the net vigilantes and filtered Internet
> service.  If their machine is running 100% on the CPU and
> rebooting at random after just a few minutes online, then it's
> those other miscreants...

as an exercise, try to write the end-user-level document on how
a typical end user can tell if application X, for a very large
range of X, is not working because of an isp-imposed firewall or
filter, miscreantware, or the application is actually broken.
if you can't write this, i suggest you have real problems
justifying firewalling/filtering without the users' *informed*
consent.  think about "i am suing because you just cost me three
days of lost revenue, six people's work, ... because my critical
application was broken by your ...".

i am sure keith moore will be glad to help you with such a
document:-).

randy