Points on your Internet driver's license

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Jun 13 18:54:40 UTC 2004

My inbox overflows with complaints about the analogy, and the
fact that it's the appliances that are shipped broken...   I hereby
acknowledge the faulty analogy, you can discard your edit buffer
if you're in the process of sending me such a note...  :-)

Hopefully, the appliances (e.g. MS Windows) will get better over
time, but in the meanwhile, how do we limit the damage?  The
end-user wants email and web access, and we give him raw IP
access and watch the fireworks...

If user education is the answer, then let the user get educated
enough to figure out he's NAT'ed and proxied, and then ask to
have the raw IP service.

/John