"Default" Internet Service (was: Re: Points on your Internet driver's license)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sun Jun 13 14:11:57 UTC 2004

At 6:31 AM -0400 6/13/04, Sean Donelan wrote:
>If they were, you would expect to see a difference between barns with
>doors and barns without doors.  But in practice, we see people with and
>without firewalls with infected computers.

If you're asserting that having firewalls in the path doesn't have
any impact on rate of infection, please provide a link to this data.
Sure, I've even seen infected computers in rooms that don't (or
should not have had) any connectivity, but that just means it is
not a perfect world.  Lot's of things make it through firewalls
(email-based worms come to mind) but from what I've seen they
are quite effective at protecting networks of otherwise helpless
comes-out-of-the-box-wide-open PC's.

/John