Points on your Internet driver's license (was RE: Even you can be

Geoincidents geoincidents at nls.net
Sat Jun 12 14:58:09 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adi Linden" <adil at adis.on.ca>

> Provide a safe network connection. I believe an ISP should provide a safe
> environment to play, assuming the customer is innocent granny. Your
> average DSL network connection should be safe by default, so a default
> Win98 (or any other OS) can be connected without fear of compromise.

That's like saying provide safe electricity. If someone has a toaster where
the wire cracks and they electrocute themselves, or a hair dryer that isn't
safe in the bathtub, do you complain that the electric company should
provide safe electricity?

How is bandwidth any different?

There is no "safe bandwidth". No matter how you look at it it's a two way
communications and it's never going to be "safe" as far as the bandwidth
goes, just like electricity is power and it's never going to be safe. It's
the devices you plug in that need to be made safe.

The only thing ISP's can do is damper bandwidth, try and limit feedback/flow
rates so we don't have a single tree take out the electrical network in the
northeast.

Geo.