[OnTopic] common list sense (Re: Even you can be hacked)

Paul Jakma paul at clubi.ie
Fri Jun 11 17:12:27 UTC 2004

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004, Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr. wrote:

> Really?  My responsibility to make sure you control your outbound
> mail.  Got it.

You really think everyone on this list should remember the preference
of every other poster as to whether they do or do not want a direct
copy? Maybe we could have a list on a web page and everyone could
check the list before replying to a post. That'd be really useful.
But wait, seeing as how we've got these new-fangled computer thingies
that can take care of drudgery for us, how about we provide a way to
allow the poster to specify what their preference is, and then other
people's computers could automatically use that preference!

Oh wait:

 	http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/822/28.htm

Someone already thought of that! In *1982*. Gosh, how prescient!

(sorry if the sarcasm is a little thick, but I groan and shake my
head every time someone posts to NANOG about how people should please
stop including them in list replies. When I see someone who usually
has a modicum of clue do same I just have to reply. :) )

> Oh.  Any suggestions on how to do that using my mailer?

No idea, consult its documentation. I do ctrl+r in my MUA, in
Netscape Communicator or Mozilla mail or Thunderbird you just add the
address in a new field and click the drop down list and change the
'To' to 'Reply-To'

If your mailer can not do something as simple as allow you to specify
the Reply-To, I suggest you upgrade to something that is at least
half-decent.

> And I'll delete the other copy you sent me for you.

That's another option I guess.

> Where is RFC 2821 is this requirement, by the way?  RFC 2822
> says it is optional but seems to be less than useful in the
> context here.

Yes, of course Reply-To is optional. Absence of Reply-to indicates
reply should go to sender.

regards,
 	warning: do not ever send email to spam at dishone.st
Fortune:
October 12, the Discovery.

It was wonderful to find America, but it would have been more wonderful to miss
it.