MD5 BGP performance on a VXR?

Newell, Tony tony.newell at BELLSOUTH.COM
Fri Jun 11 12:21:24 UTC 2004

Ben,

My first question would be how big is your prefix list per BGP session?
What is really going to task this router with 25 sessions is the BGP
Scanner and BGP Router processes.  To my knowledge MD5 is just for
authenticating the session.  I could be wrong.

Tony Newell
Technical Lead
RTSG-BB IP Networking
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog at merit.edu [mailto:owner-nanog at merit.edu] On Behalf Of
Ben Buxton
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 5:49 AM
To: nanog at merit.edu
Subject: MD5 BGP performance on a VXR?

Has anyone done any concrete testing on how well a 7206VXR with an
NPE-300 can handle BGP MD5? The box in question has about 25 sessions
and is pushing 150Mbps, with a 75% cpu load. I'm curious to know if it's
the MD5 taking all the CPU.

Thanks,
Ben

*****
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 113