Even you can be hacked

Patrick W.Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Jun 11 03:04:02 UTC 2004

Ahhh, here is it... :)

Uh, no, I wrote this part. :)

>> The "victim" in the case Sean posted knew he had a worm, got some of
>> his first bill forgiven, yet did nothing to correct it and acts
>> surprised when the same thing happens the next month.  YES, he is at
>> fault.  Anyone who thinks differently .. uh .. can I buy b/w from you?
>> :)  Oh, and since you feel responsible, I'm only going to pay for the
>> amount of traffic I think I should have gotten on my web page, even if
>> I get /.'ed or something.  Does $25/Mbps sound good?  I plan to use
>> about 1 Mbps, but I will need an un-rate-limited GigE connection.
>
> 	It all depends upon what the agreement between the customer and the
> ISP
> says. It's no unreasonable for the ISP to 'insure' the customer against
> risks he isn't able to mitigate which the ISP is, even if that means
> shutting off his service.

While it may not be unreasonable, it is also not unreasonable for the
ISP to *not* insure the customer against such risks.

It all depends. :)

Also, you did not really address my question: Are you willing to sell
me the service I asked for above?

> 	Most of the people on this list see things from the ISP's perspective.
> However, step back a bit and see it from the user's perspective. Do you
> expect to pay for phone calls you didn't make or do you expect the
> person
> whose deliberate conscious action caused those calls to be made? Do you
> expect to be responsible for patrolling your electric lines to make
> sure
> someone hasn't plugged into your outside outlets?

Actually, I Am Not An Isp.  (Yes, that is really what is stands for.)
I do see things from a user perspective.  And I still do not agree with
you.

For instance, I do believe if someone comes by and plugs something into
an outside socket on my house that I should pay the bill.  The power
was used, it cost something, and the power company sure as hell was not
responsible.  Of course, if I can find the culprit, I can force him to
pay.  But that does not mean the power company should eat the
difference.

Take some responsibility.  This whole thing reminds me of when we were
kids and I loaned my middle brother my walkman.  He left it on the
floor where my baby brother was playing - who promptly smashed it with
some random toy and destroyed it.  My middle brother claimed it was not
his fault, my baby brother did it.  I was out a walkman (big bux in
those days!), but I learned a valuable lesson: Never trust someone who
is not willing to take responsibility.

Since you seem to disagree with me, care to put your money where your
mouth is?  Sell me a service where I only pay for what I expect.  I'm
happy to have you shut me off if you notice traffic out of profile, but
don't expect me to pay more than what I think I should.  Oh, and you
should be prepared to turn the service back on when I "fix" the problem
(even if it is just going to happen again, and again, and again, and
again...).

--
TTFN,
patrick