Even you can be hacked

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 10 21:58:50 UTC 2004

--On Thursday, June 10, 2004 16:31 -0400 Alex Rubenstein <alex at nac.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Crist Clark wrote:
>

>> Sean Donelan wrote:
>>
>> > If you leave your lights on, the electric company will send you a bill.
>>
>> If the neighbor taps into your power lines after the meter...?
>
> That will be a criminal matter between you and your neighbour.

Technically, it's a civil matter between you and your neighbor, but, it
could
also be a criminal matter between the district attorney and your neighbor.

>> > If you leave your faucets running, the water company will send you a
>> > bill. If you leave your computer infected, ???
>>
>> If you lose your credit card and someone runs up thousands of dollars
>> in charges, the credit card company sends you a bill... But you can at
>> most be held responsible for $50.
>
> Which is a 'feature' of most credit cards, irrelevant to criminal law.

We're not talking about criminal law here, for the most part.  We're talking
about civil law.  There are laws specific to credit cards and credit fraud
that have absolutely no applicability to internet usage.  I think we can
generally agree that the internet looks much more like a utility than
it looks like a revolving charge account.

Owen

--
If this message was not signed with gpg key 0FE2AA3D, it's probably
a forgery.