Even you can be hacked

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at wvi.com
Thu Jun 10 17:51:34 UTC 2004

** Reply to message from "Laurence F. Sheldon, Jr."
<LarrySheldon at cox.net> on Thu, 10 Jun 2004 12:39:41 -0500

> Sean Donelan wrote:
>
> > Does the water company fix your toilet if it leaks water?  Or do you call
> > a plumber?
>
> On the other hand, if the water company was sending pollutants in the
> water you bought, there was a perceived responsibility upon the water
> company.
>
> Now, which broken metaphor (leaky toilet, pollutant contaminated
> stream) best fits the problem at hand?
>
> Take all the time you need, we will wait.

That's an easy one.

Leaky toilet - a properly maintained toilet doesn't leak and waste
water, no matter what is in the inflow.  If you want to drink from your
toilet, that's your problem.

 We offer spam and virus filtering. We block many of the popular worm
access ports at the edge and core (which can be a real pain). We offer
a CD full of firewall, AV, and anti-spyware programs for the asking.

But ultimately, _you_ are responsible for your own systems.

--
Jeff Shultz
A railfan pulls up to a RR crossing hoping that