NLB Recommendations

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Thu Jun 10 13:39:45 UTC 2004

On 8 Jun 2004, at 19:32, James Baldwin wrote:

> I'm looking for recommendations for network load balancers. These, at
> this time, will primarily be used to attach to a cluster of webservers
> although I would like a solution which can be repurposed to other
> applications later. I am looking at F5's Big IP, Cisco's SLB, and
> Foundry's ServerIron at this time.

Depending on the nature of your content and how you want your load
distributed, the approach we take with distributing DNS load (udp and
tcp) across a cluster of nameservers may be of interest:

   http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.html
   http://www.isc.org/pubs/tn/isc-tn-2004-1.txt

No bells and whistles here, but also no need to buy load-balancing
appliances. Be sure to read section 6 ("Limitations").

Joe