TCP-ACK vulnerability (was RE: SSH on the router)

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Thu Jun 10 05:17:28 UTC 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Sean Donelan wrote:

> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/707/cisco-sa-20040609-catos.shtml
>
> IP Permit Lists will not provide any mitigation against this vulnerability.
>
> The race is on, who will find your switches first?

makes one wonder about all that virus-foo running around splashing packets
at 0/0:80... I wonder if any of that might have triggered these reloads
over the last, how long? Since catos was born? :(

a good thing, I think, cisco is finding and releasing these
problems/bugs/'features' in their platforms and thus working through
quality control issues. it's nice, other vendors should do the same for
things that get connected  to the public network.

-Chris