Addresses for latest spam

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Tue Jun 8 18:24:49 UTC 2004

Isn't this called a "dictionary" attack?

> To: Adi Linden <adil at adis.on.ca>
> Cc: nanog at merit.edu
> Subject: Re: Addresses for latest spam
> From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
> Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 11:44:50 -0400
>
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 09:06:35 CDT, Adi Linden <adil at adis.on.ca>  said:
> >
> > Does anyone know how the latest email worms assemble the email addresses
> > they use? I am getting a large amount of junk destined for non-existant
> > (never existant) email accounts. So the address cannot be taken from the
> > various address books on the compromised PC's.
>
> I'll place bets on there being 'userA at domain1.net' and 'userB at domain2.com'
> in the address books, and the worm is creating all 4 combinations of left and
> right hand sides (and possibly other permutations too).  So you're sitting at
> domain1.net and seeing 'userB at domain1.net' bouncing (and possibly
> 'userB at domain2.com' as well....)
>
> And of course, if it finds 200 addresses, you'll get the 1 valid LHS that
> was attached to your domain - and 199 LHS's that used to be attached
> to 199 other domain names and were probably never valid at your site.
>
> But since it's a compromised PC that belongs to somebody else and the
> spammer isn't paying for the bandwidth, they might as well try all 200x200,
> because they know 200 of them were valid, and maybe they'll get lucky
> and another 50 or 75 of the cross-product will happen to match too...

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin