Verizon IP's and ARIN Records

Pete crossfire at smsonline.net
Tue Jun 8 06:47:00 UTC 2004

> Based on this problem, completewhois has stopped listing 206.46.0.0/16 as
> a bogon (and actively having it blocked through dns for those using
> bogons.dnsiplists.completewhois.com for active blocking in email), this
> exception will last 48 hours. If you're using bogon lists in firewall
> with daily downloads of bogon ip block list, please make immediate
> download of currently available list or manually remove 206.46.0.0/16
> from list of bogons and reinitialize your firewall.
>
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Dennis Dayman wrote:
>

> > ARIN has dropped all registry information for 206.46.0.0 - 255.255.0.0.
> > This range includes our residential and business mail customers.  We are
> > aware of the issue and are addressing this NOW to have our ARIN records
> > re-published again.  We are not sure why this has happened at this time.
> > Any sender verification that checks for PTR records will fail on
outbound
> > mail from Verizon Online.
> >
> > --------------------------
> > Dennis Dayman
> > Verizon Internet Services Operations
> > Security and Legal Compliance
> > --------------------------

ARIN is cracking down on IP Space that is or has been issued (legally) and
have been found to have the contact records  "out of date" or the e-mail
addresses either don't work or their are mailboxes full and so on. You will
see more and more of these allocations being removed for failing to act on
network issue via their stated ARIN information.

A good example was that fellow trying contact RoadRunner's network center.
You should be able to do so from their ARIN information on record but...
nope they let the numbers changes, e-mails fade and people come and go.

More to come of this as Renewal Time is just around the corner.

-Peter