Trusting COTS - What's really in the box?

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com
Tue Jun 8 05:51:40 UTC 2004

Sean Donelan wrote:

> How do you know what you get in the box is the same as what was
> shipped from the factory?  Or was it just re-sealed and put back
> on the shelf with an altered configuration?

1. Buy a linksys box off the shelf from radio shack or wherever [factory
sealed]

2. Download the latest firmware and/or its source code from
ftp.linksys.com, or the wifi-box.net site.

3. Build it yourself

or

4. As these two I mentioned (sveasoft / wifi-box) are open source, trust
the developer community to some extent when you download firmware from
their site.

	srs

--
suresh ramasubramanian suresh at outblaze.com gpg EDEDEFB9
manager, security and antispam operations, outblaze ltd