IT security people sleep well

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jun 8 03:09:50 UTC 2004

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:40:19 EDT, Jason Frisvold <friz at corp.ptd.net>  said:

> Do you trust every person you work with?  Are your internal networks
> completely segmented (including the ethernet switches?)

And there's different kinds of trust too..

I've got a co-worker who I totally trust not to do something malicious.

However, it's 11PM, and I'm still in my lab because I just spent several hours
figuring out that a pile of gear I was supposed to test was *supposed* to
include a Foundry switch to use for a private network - but instead of 4 ports
connected to PCs that were dual-homed to the building network and the private
net, he wired up 3 ports to dual-homed boxes, and one port to the building net
to reach the 4th PC.  Whoops... ;)

Do you trust every person you work with to not maliciously snarf packets *and*
to not accidentally route all those cleartext packets out the wrong interface
at the wrong time?