IT security people sleep well

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jun 8 02:51:17 UTC 2004

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:31:59 EDT, Jason Frisvold <friz at corp.ptd.net>  said:

> I don't see why they can't roll it into every ios that runs on a router
> capable of ssh.  Ssh and sshd on my linux system barely break 500k
> compiled... And there's a TON of functionality in there that isn't
> required on a router.  It would seem that you could get ssh put into
> these code trains in under 500k ...

OK.. Say you can get it into the code train for 200K.  What do you do with all
those routers that have only 100K or 125K of space left in the flash (if that),
and the flash is NOT going to get any bigger without massive abuse of a
soldering iron because not all the needed address lines are brought out to the
flash chip (a fine tactic dating back decades - I remember seeing a 16K ROM
nailed to the top quarter of the 64K address space, and only 14 address lines
brought to the chip - it was nailed to the top 16K by feeding A14 and A15 to an
AND gate which fed the 'Chip Select' pin...)