SSH on the router - was( IT security people sleep well)

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jun 7 21:38:22 UTC 2004

>> and all the other things single points of failure need.
>> like pixie dust, chicken entrails, ...
> Where did the word "single" come from, given he had an "s"
> on gateways?  Replicate them across POPs

glib, but ignores the massive cost and bureaucratic insanity it
takes to install yet one more box in a real pop.  we already go
through that for the out-of-band and serial console management
device(s).  we have in-band access; so one uses the in-band for
ssh to devices; with acls, of course.  telnet stopped being an
option before most of the readers of nanog ever met a router.

randy