Worst case worm damage estimates: Research

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun Jun 6 06:03:53 UTC 2004

> Sean Donelan wrote:
> This is where I agree with Paxson and Weaver, there isn't
> a deep supply line for replacement PCs. If 50 million PCs
> fall over in a single morning, its unlikely the PC repair
> people will have enough replacement machines ready instantly.

I'm with you, I was trying to point out that it's a big "if". Modern
BIOSes are protected against this, and as Eddy and I pointed out, it's
generally not a big deal to recover a trashed BIOS. Besides, after the
first million craps out, every radio and TV will be saying not to turn
on your PC before you talk to your IT.

> Its the supermarket effect before a big snowstorm, they run
> out of milk and bread within a couple of hours. But then what
> happens? People starve? or is there product substitution?

Both at home and at the office I can find a week worth of overdue work
that does not require a PC.....

Michel.