Real-Time Mitigation of Denial of Service Attacks Now Available With AT&T

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Thu Jun 3 13:19:47 UTC 2004

At 08:04 AM 6/3/2004, Krichbaum, Eric wrote:

>Because there are legitimate reasons for async routing.
>DirectPC/Isat/etc. (Satelite based services) come to mind immediately.

DirecPC has had satellite return path for a long time. Their older systems
with dialup/cable for upstream involved loading of software into your PC.
That software could EASILY have encapsulated the upstream packets into UDP
packets so that their upstream packets were valid.

>Customers dial-up to an ISP and downstream traffic returns via the sat
>connection.  Reverse-path immediately disables every one of these
>customers.  Qwest deployed this on us with no notice and killed off
>thousands of customers in one fell swoop.
>
>Although I agree with the principal, the implentation needs more thought
>than a simple 'turn it on for 100%'.

The documents leading up to BCP38 began in 1996. This didn't just happen
out of the blue. Some assumptions made by more than one group that routing
decisions would forever be made based on destination IP address only.

One of these was mobile IP, and that WG worked on an alternative as soon as
the ingress filtering draft started gaining momentum. Tunnels are a good
answer where legitimate traffic has to flow in a way that does not match
the addressing topology.

Having this dropped on you by Qwest without warning was a bad thing. I
wonder if you asked them to temporarily undo it while while you worked with
the vendor (Hughes in this case) to implement tunneling of the return traffic?