COnfiguration Suggestion - Etherchannel

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Jul 28 02:54:43 UTC 2004

> Richard J. Sears wrote:
> I am running a 6509 with Dual SUP720's in IOS mode only
>(no cat software). It was pointed out that there are really
> two different ways to configure the switch - I guess my
> question is which is the best (lowest overhead, etc)?

The two you posted are equivalent; the second one simply uses the
default VLAN, amount of overhead is the same.

Now, there is a third method (trunking) that allows your etherchannel to
carry multiple VLANs at the same time (you would use encap dot1q). If
you connect two large switches for the same organization, you likely
want the trunk to carry all your VLANs. In your case, I believe one VLAN
to connect the customer is enough, so your config is fine IMHO.

Michel.