ad.doubleclick.net missing from DNS?

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Jul 27 17:59:44 UTC 2004

Stephen Stuart <stuart at tech.org> wrote:
[...]
> Better still, run an http listener on (for example) 127.0.0.2 port
> 80, using the appropriate /etc/hosts glue to map whatever hostnames
> you like to that address, and answer requests with null content; the
> remainder of the page will complete faster as a result. For extra
> credit, log the requests so you can browse the Host:/Referer:
> combinations.

I do this on my home network by transproxying at the border and
returning 403 errors for requests to certain domains. Quite handy for
certain sites, especially those that are the source of particularly
annoying advertising that Mozilla won't block.

--
Vice is its own reward. It is virtue which, if it is to be marketed with
consumer appeal, must carry Green Shield stamps.