2511 line break

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Tue Jul 27 15:35:56 UTC 2004

MP> Michel Py typed:
MP> Same here. There is more CPU power in a dishwasher than in
MP> a 2611 these days.

> Rafi Sadowsky
> Did you mean a 2511?

Doh, yes! Thanks for correcting. The 2600 is quite more capable, that
would be a DVR not a dishwasher (no joke: the TiVo DVR is a low-end
PowerPC with 32 megs, see photos here:
http://home.pacbell.net/arn-py/tivo/)

> Joe Abley wrote:
> but the ssh client session does actually complete, and I
> can type commands. This is on a 2511 which is doing precisely
> nothing else -- no routing protocols, just a single async port
> connected to the console on a FreeBSD box.

No real-world production application; first, it has 16 async lines, you
would expect to be able to have two different users use two of them at
the same time. This is what terminal servers are for. Second, if you
need to use one of the serial ports to access the router with PPP, have
an access-list to restrict telnet/SSH access, log anything, you're SOL.

The 2511 is a perfectly good CCIE Lab terminal server though, no need
for SSH. For what I have read, lots of people here could use a little
practice. There's this story about the guy flying 10,000 miles coming to
SJ to take the lab (before a testing center opened in Asia) and could
not get through the first line of the first lab question (which is to
configure the 2611 to access all the other devices using reverse telnet)
and flew back home with a brilliant 0 points.

There's no point using SSH when the router's enable password is "cisco",
or is there?

Michel.