Campus size Wireless LAN

Rob Nelson ronelson at vt.edu
Sat Jul 24 16:00:56 UTC 2004

At 02:01 PM 7/21/2004, Eric Brown wrote:

>Anyone have experience with Proxim's tsunami quickbridge for wireless
>connectivity between buildings at line of site distances under 1 mile?
>It's cheaper than Cisco and looks good on paper.  Looking for the good
>bad and ugly.  Thanks in advance!

Cheaper than Cisco? Doesn't take much! ;)

Is this point to point or point to multipoint? One link, or multiple links?
There's plenty of products to do campus WLAN's, and the Quickbridges are
pretty good. Proxim also has the MP11 and MP11a line, which I believe is
cheaper than the Quickbridges, but uses the same spectrum. Probably has
slightly lower throughput, but don't know if that's as important.

The Quickbridge is an older product, and as someone said, the interface
shows it. The newer products (AP600, AP2500, AP4000, and the MP11/MP11a's)
all have a very similar web interface that's fairly intuitive. All of it
will work (especially at <1mile LOS), it's a question of what other
features you're expecting/looking for.

Rob Nelson
ronelson at vt.edu