DNC service providers

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Sat Jul 24 14:39:22 UTC 2004

> http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/3561756/detail.html
>
> The event monitor gives all the agencies instant access to any event to
> local police, fire officials, the FBI and dozens of law enforcement
> representatives working with utility providers. "Public safety officials
> from our carriers -- Verizon, Nextel, AT&T, NSTAR, Keyspan," said Perro.

There's a related article in this morning's Boston Globe that talks about
the role of some private businesses.  Here are the first few paragraphs...

State firms form groups for disaster response
http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2004/07/24/state_firms_form_groups_for_disaster_response/

If disaster strikes at next week's Democratic National Convention,
Boston-area businesses will have an unprecedented new seat at the
emergency response command center -- and tens of millions of dollars
in material and services lined up to help respond...

After months of discussions, the imminent arrival of 35,000 delegates,
journalists, and politicos has spurred more than 20 area corporations
to form a new Massachusetts Business Response Network. It inventories
everything from warehouse space and hazardous-materials suits to excavators
and portable generators -- and executives with skills suitable for crisis
response -- that businesses are prepared to make available to public safety
officials in the event of a terrorist strike or other disaster.

The network, whose backers include EMC Corp., Genzyme Corp., Partners
HealthCare, Raytheon Co., and Shawmut Design and Construction Inc., is
modeled on a similar New Jersey effort completed last year. That sought to
avoid, in the case of a disaster, a repeat of the logistical snarls as
hundreds of businesses volunteered people, equipment, and goods to respond
to the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center.

The Democratic convention is also driving another unprecedented example of
coordination between area businesses and public safety. As state emergency
management officials open a command center in an underground bunker in
Framingham, representatives from a business group called the New England
Disaster Recovery Information Exchange will for the first time have a
designated seat alongside agencies like the State Police, Massachusetts
National Guard, US Coast Guard, and the state Department of Public Health.