T1 short-haul vs. long-haul - jack terminology

Christopher Woodfield rekoil at semihuman.com
Fri Jul 23 19:23:54 UTC 2004

OK, from my reading in Newton's Telecom Dictionary, it appears that NIU
is a generic term for "whatever the customer plugs their cable into",
be it a powered or a dumb device. Mea culpa.

However, the writeup on "smart jack" reads, in part:

"...installed on the premises as a semi-intelligent demarcation point,
the smart jack is completely passive until activated remotely by a
digital code, typically something like 'FACILITY 2', sent down the T-1.
This code activates a relay [that loops the circuit]."

That may not accurately define the Adtran and Westell devices that are
pictured (they appear to have additional features beyond this), but
it's a good guess they provide the remote loopback function described
above in addition to the monitor points and management console port. I
also doubt that the Hyperedge unit pictured does so, although I can't
seem to find any online documentation on the unit  (it is, as you
described it, a 'glorified patch panel'). Feel free to correct me.

Hope this serves to clarify things...

-C