VeriSign's rapid DNS updates in .com/.net

Petri Helenius pete at he.iki.fi
Fri Jul 23 09:41:33 UTC 2004

Paul Vixie wrote:

> so do i. but more importantly, i agree with daniel that the next thing
>
>that's going to happen as a result is that there will be pressure toward
>lower ttl's.  and i further agree with daniel that lower ttl's would be
>bad.  so, let's increase dynamicism of domain addition, but let's please
>not also increase dynamicism of delegation change and domain deletion.

What would be your suggestion to achieve the desired effect that many
seek by lower TTL's, which is changing A records to point to available,
lower load servers at different times? I did read the point that lower
TTL's should only be used when appropriate but if most high-traffic
sites use low TTL's, the point about the rest is moot. (with the
exception of the root-servers) The load will be seen on ISP resolvers,
specially on consumer networks.

Pete