VeriSign's rapid DNS updates in .com/.net

Daniel Karrenberg daniel.karrenberg at ripe.net
Thu Jul 22 19:05:33 UTC 2004

On 22.07 17:08, Paul Vixie wrote:

> ....  therefore if there were a drop in TTL for root-zone data, it would
> only be a multiplier against 2.1% of f-root's present volume.

I am not worried so much about the root servers here because of the
reasons you cite. The root server system is engineered to cope with
hugely excessive loads already.
I am worried about all the other root servers that have to deal with
much lesser query loads and might feel the impact of lowered TTLs
much more.

> ... and the impact of
> having it in many TLD's will be to put downward pressure on TTL's.  this
> all needs to be looked at very carefully.

Yes, we need to keep an eye on this and argue against lowering TTLs
across the board for little good reasion.